Thursday, June 25, 2009

DIRTY


I don't really know how I have managed to avoid it all these years, seeing as how it has been a staple in every respectable chick flick collection since it was released, but I watched Dirty Dancing for the very first time last night. I was having a movie night with my neighbor, who hadn't seen it before either. Sometimes I just hate 80s movies, so I was really excited when I realized it was supposed to be set in the 60s. I think with a few changes I could have fallen in love with it, but it didn't quite live up to all the hype and it definitely fell short of its potential to be christened one of my favorite movies of all time.

I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, but there was dancing, and boy was it dirty. So many crotches. Sooooooo many crotches. I know right? Apparently its called "Dirty Dancing" for a reason. Who knew.

I loved the music on the soundtrack. I love oldies. But unfortunately, as mesmerizing as it is, "Time of My Life" does not even remotely sound like it could have been recorded in the 60s. Way to screw up the movie magic of a distant past, crazy directors of the 80s.

I used to think Kimmy Gibbler was a creep for trying to will DJ's Patrick Swayze poster to fall off the ceiling and onto her lips. I think I know now where she's coming from. That man is a FOX.




I love that jennifer Grey has frizzy hair, a real nose (at least she did when they filmed it) and sounds like she has braces on her bottom teeth. She's awkward and I like it.
As glorious as the ending is in all its 80s splendor, I just don't buy that her dad enjoyed watching his "Baby" freak dance with a greasy man in a leather jacket. At least I really, really hope not.


1 comment:

  1. I'm sad you didnt love it! I seriously LOVE it, seriously. Although you have reasons for not liking it...I don't really have a lot of reasons for liking it. I just do. I should work on that!

    ReplyDelete