Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Aggressive Shopping


Yesterday, to my roommate's embarrassment I took the bus to the grocery store. I'm not ashamed of taking the bus. I take it to work and back every day, and I like it. It forces me to be on time, because I know if I miss the bus I'm screwed and I'm going to be way late no matter what. When I have a car I tend to not leave my apartment until like 5 minutes before I need to be to work. In my head I think that'll just be able to drive super fast and get there on time, but thats never the case.

So. I took the bus to Smith's on 3rd North. They don't have a huge selection, I mean its no WalMart but it does just fine for my grocery needs. PLUS it takes a half hour to get to Walmart on the bus, and only 10 minutes to get to Smith's. I have to walk 2 blocks but hey, its exercise.

So I walked from the bus stop over to Smith's and started my speed shopping. I got there at 7:27 and I needed to catch the bus home by 8:21, which means I needed to be out of the store by 8:10 to allow for walking time carrying all my groceries. I was a power shopper last night. I think you can tell a lot about a person by how they act at the grocery store and what's in their cart. I obey the major rules of yeilding to other cart pushers in the end aisles if I'm coming to a regular aisle intersection, but other than that I'm a pretty aggressive shopper. If someone is standing in front of the cheese section forever debating between cheddar and colby jack for more than 30 seconds, I don't wait for them to move, I just reach in front of them and get my cheese. If I'm behind someone meandering along the cereal aisle I pass them like a racecar driver and grab the box I want. Its not that I'm impatient, I just don't have time.


So last night I needed to get some butter, and I was running out of time. There was this woman in the aisle with me and it was one of those awkward situations where you try to pass someone but you both go the same way to avoid the other person. And I knew that's how it was going to be, so I didn't even try to move. I just waited for her to move out of the way for me. Apparently that was a bad idea because she looked at me like I was cannibal. Seriously there was fear in her eyes. It was really weird but kind of funny. I then proceeded to the "self check out" because I swear that's all they have at Smith's these days. It kept giving me an error message and the little computer voice kept saying "please remove the last item bagged and scan it before placing it in the bag." So everyone was looking at me like I was stealing stuff. It was way lame. It wasn't the best shopping experience of my life, but it was pretty amusing nonetheless.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the pictures that go allong with this blog. Almost nothing makes me more happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your blog, especially when it includes pictures, makes my heart happy. Ozzy looked at me when I was trying to stifle my laughter. Oh, and that list of books! here it is, it's not complete, though -

    Farenheight 451 - ray bradbury (an awesome read, thought provoking)

    Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte (creepy love story... I thought it was awesome, but it may creep you out)

    The Work and the Glory series - Gerald Lund (its pretty good, its cool to have a fictional drama alongside the church histories)

    The Giver - Lois Lowry (super awesome, also thought provoking)

    Anthem - Ayn Rand (it was a high school english required book, but really really good, it's about individuality)

    The Illustrated Man - Ray Bradbury

    A Wrinkle in Time - Madeline L'engle (its a childrens book, but I LOVE IT! read it. kbye.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the blurry picture. it makes me imagine you running down the aisle with your camera phone. whether or not that has ever happened, i like to pretend that it has. i also like how the woman looked at you like a cannibal. that says it all, right there, my friends. that says it all.

    ReplyDelete